Saturday, August 22, 2015

Why I Run #3- Training/Racing

Over the last few months I've been trying to understand what competitive running actually is. I mean, when you think about running at it's most basic level, we as humans have this function where we can move our legs back and forth quickly, pushing off the ground and bounding forward in pursuit of something. Racing then, at its most basic level, is two or more people using this function to see who can get from a certain spot to another certain spot first. I suppose we as humans love to make things competitive, and so even something as simple as running becomes a competition. That's the obvious part for me.

The not-so-obvious part comes in when running morphs into something else. Let me start out by talking about children. Many of them run wherever they go. Whether we tell them to go back to their cabin or to go sit at a different spot at the table, often they will skip into a run to wherever they are going. Over time the more I run I've lost this ability to up and run somewhere, and I've wondered why. I've realized that I have a difficult time entering this state of 'running' that might differ from a children's. When I finally invest myself to run (like in a game or something), I'm running around the WHOLE time and it's almost like I can't stop; I've entered that state of 'running'. Question for thought: might children more easily enter that state that people older than them?

Anyway, I've found that often I will say to people "I'm going for a run" or "I'm going to do my run", but that seems odd to set aside time during the day to run, when running is just a way to get somewhere quicker, whereas I might not normally be attempting to go anywhere, but rather just get faster. As soon as I start running, I'm in that state of 'running', and I'll stay there until I'm done. Even when we get back I'll be more inclined to jog around to fetch things (like something from the locker room). 

So running morphs into this weird part of me that allows me to enter a different state of being/mind (note: I don't use drugs if that's what this is sounding like). I think about different things. Time moves at a different pace. The countryside can be explored. My worries can disappear for a time. I may even find some time to pray. This leaves me looking for more. The reason injuries are so hard to get through is because I miss running during that time. 

Some days are hard and I wonder why I keep running, but it's weeks like this last week that remind me of why. On Wednesday I had a workout, and I made my way to the gravel roads outside of town. To get there I was running through the ATV tracks in the ditch along the highway, and that coupled with my body feeling great and the weather being amazing, got me smiling and laughing. It was fun! I'm sure I looked like an idiot to all driving past, but I was having a great time!

The next day I was in Fargo where I was running with two NDSU distance guys that I knew in high school, and later that afternoon I ran with a former high school teammate of mine. It was incredibly satisfying to share this gift with others, and it added to my joy. 

Then last night at something running related the speedway races in Grand Forks I was watching the sprint cars race on the dirt track. As soon as the green flag comes out, they are flying all-out 100% racing. They give each straightaway and turn everything they have, and they'll do everything possible to pass somebody. Until the race is over or caution comes out, they are giving it their all. I couldn't help but think of racing in track being similar- once that gun goes off it's everything you can give until you cross that finish line. The race might be hard, but the peace that comes from training and accomplishing a goal- that's why I run. 

Blessings for the upcoming school year!

No comments:

Post a Comment