Friday, December 25, 2015

Christmas

Christmas time is family time. I suppose this makes sense, because Jesus' birth was accompanied by family in a story in which everyone had to return to their hometown, where they likely had family. So it comes as no surprise that even today people travel to visit family. I still wonder how Mary and Joseph completed the journey without Clif Bars or GU Energy Gels to keep them replenished, but I digress.

I just got back from a visit to my girlfriend's family in central Minnesota, and during it we made a slight excursion to Grand Rapids, MN to visit her brother. I had never been to this part of Minnesota before, and it really is a different world compared to most (if not all) of North Dakota. It was nice to see large evergreen branches hanging over the road with snow holding on to them as long as they could. Even cooler was seeing all the different trails and protected forest areas that were up there. It seemed like every few miles there was another public trail with access from the road, and while those would be amazing for cross-country skiing right now (something I literally have no experience with), I can imagine them in the summer being quiet dirt trails great for running. It opened my eyes to why those who come to UND from out-of-state complain that we have nothing to do- there were so many recreational opportunities there in northern Minnesota, even in the winter. 

Anyway, once in Grand Rapids we went for a short run together on some of the snow-covered trails around the area. Even though we were slipping and sliding around trying to find any traction, it was a simply beautiful sight. The recent snowfall rested on the trees still and the wind wasn't blowing because of all the protection. We had to take some time to soak it all in. In a world where it is so easy to see all the bad things around us (grab literally any newspaper or go on literally any news website if you live under a rock and don't believe me), we need to realize how beautiful this Earth is. I wonder to myself sometimes what Jesus thought of the natural beauty of the Earth when he physically walked here. If you allow it to, every hill, tree, rock, field, cloud, and mountain can be stunning and breath-taking. I'm well aware that considering the beauty of this Earth is not sufficient proof of the existence of a God, but I really do wonder how such a beautiful, perfectly-arranged planet could have simply 'happened'. I guess my main point is that the woods were beautiful!

The next day I found myself doing a workout on Highway 27 in central Minnesota. Now, to my surprise, this state highway had more traffic than interstates in North Dakota usually do. Cars, cars, cars, noise, noise, noise, haste, haste, haste- this is our world. We are always in a hurry; we are always trying to shove way too much into our already busy schedules; we are living in a world where noise is the norm and quiet is unusual, rather than the other way around; we live in a world where everything is lit because we are collectively afraid of the dark; we call ourselves more connected than ever before due to social media, but I lament at seeing folks staring at their phones and ignoring the world around them. I think this is why I try to seek out quiet places to run. On this workout I was listening to my iPod, because I can't stand the sound of constant traffic; if no cars were on the road, I wouldn't have my iPod. Am I a hypocrite? Probably, but so is any person reading this. We all are. 

I'm back home now. I've fought through the fiercest of battles, including not eating copious amounts of food and trying to fit in two runs a day with church, present-opening, eating, visiting family, and sleeping. The weather this year on Christmas day is about as good as it's going to get, with temperatures in the 20s, as opposed to the last few years when wind chills have been approaching -20. I've been able to go back to my home church and recollect with some of the kids I grew up with (3/8 of my confirmation class was at my service- that's a record!) We've been able to watch A Christmas Story and get the whole family together. Last night when we were singing 'Silent Night' at church, I couldn't help but get some goosebumps and think about the fact that even in our crazy, violent, fast, technological, and global world, it will be alright. The baby Jesus is born and He is here to be our blood sacrifice that we as sinful people need. As we gather together with family, we remember that salvation has come- everything will be ok. 

Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment