Monday, November 2, 2020

ND Runner Interview #6- Class B Boy's State XC Champ Brian Miller

 Last Saturday, in temperatures hovering in the mid-20s with snow on the ground, the Class A State Cross Country Meet was held at Parkhurst Recreation Area just outside of Jamestown, ND, and the Class B State Cross Country Meet was held further north at the Cooperstown Country Club. The Class A races stayed close to the predictions, whereas the Class B meet had some upsets. This interview is the second of four interviews with the individuals who won state titles this year.

Interview with Class A Girl's Champion Meghan Ford can be found here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Smile, You're a State Champ! Courtesy NDHSAA


We all love an underdog story, right? In his senior year of cross country, before the state meet, Brian Miller did not win a varsity cross country meet in North Dakota (he did win two in South Dakota). He was never ranked higher than 4th place in the coaches poll, and in the final poll before the state meet he was ranked 9th. At the West Region meet, he finished 7th. He has never scored an individual point at the state track meet. 


This is not to say he hadn't come close. Going into his senior year of high school, he had been top-20 at Class B State Cross Country an impressive 4 different times, dating all the way back to 8th grade. Going all the way back to his 7th grade year, his team had never finished worse than 5th at state, and had placed as high as second. However, titles remained elusive. Judging by the polls, most did not expect him to win the big race. 


At this year's state meet, the previous results and polls were shown wrong. Miller crossed the finish line in first place with a time of 16:14, less than two seconds ahead of Class B Boy's State Senior Athlete of the Year and region rival Noah Rolfe (Stanley). Not only did Miller get to celebrate an individual accomplishment, but his team won the team title in commanding fashion, scoring 56 points to second-place Hillsboro/Central Valley's 101 points. Perhaps even more impressive was the fact that their victory end a streak of 8 consecutive titles by the dynastic New Town Eagles. 


As I've written about extensively on here, Class B cross country many times ends up being a battle between small programs in the middle of nowhere with limited facilities and resources. Bowman County is one of the more remote school districts in North Dakota, and yet they manage to put together quality programs year after year. In recognition of this fact, Bowman County took home another piece of hardware with their head coach, Jonathan Jahner receiving the Class B Boy's State Coach of the Year award. 


Below are the questions I put to Brian. I learned in these questions that the reason he didn't run in the first few races of the season was because he was at basic training. Crazy! Perhaps my favorite quote from all of it is: "I got better from losing and wanting to win."

I asked him about his team, his victory, the pandemic, and more!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.) First of all, congrats on your victory! You came out of a tough region, with all of the top 5 runners at state coming from the West, and all of whom had just beaten you at the Region meet. What was your mindset coming into the race? How did you mentally prepare?


Thank You! We west region boys run on some hills so of course we are tough, just kidding anyways, My mindset was probably not what most people would expect. They would probably expect me to have some doubt about my capabilities and like you said losing to those very same runners during regionals. But it was not. I have been in this sport for 6 years and I’ve had bad races. Regionals was a bad race for me. I have had good races one of those being a Lemmon (SD) meet in which I ran a 16:32 and personal record (PR). So, what I am trying to say is I was confident in my abilities and more importantly my team. The only doubt I had was that I was at Basic training this summer and it cut into the season, so I was late for the season and it took me about 3 weeks to fully develop again. There was not much mental preparation on my end, our coaches told us exactly how the course was going to be and walked us through different situations. I trusted my team and I knew that I had to stay right with Noah Rolfe, Patrick Wrigley (Shiloh Christian), and Ian Busch (Beulah-Hazen) and when or if I made a move it had to fast and strong. I know everyone’s race strategy from running with the same boys for so long. It was over-do to do something special from a team aspect last year me and the team wanted to give fellow teammate who was a senior a championship and we fell short. This year it was all blood in the water and we were the sharks we were mad and ready to kill.


2.) With fresh snow on the ground and sub-freezing temperatures, did your approach for warming up or preparing for the race change?


No nothing changed in warm up, in this sport it is vital that you are consistent and do the same thing before every meet. We were ready for the absolute worst at state, we were ready for 9 inches of snow and 25 mph wind, all week leading up to state we wore under cloths and lots of layers to prepare our bodies for this slight change. But it honestly wasn’t that bad or cold. And we had the same race plan.


3.) Talk a little about your race. How did it play out? What was your race strategy?


I cannot take any credit for this race strategy that belongs to the masterminds named Mr. Jahner and Mr. Bowman. Most of the time if a course is flat you just must get out fast and finish fast, on more hilly courses is where you can bring people back and strategy is crucial. Our coaches, did their homework on the course, they previously had a meet at Cooperstown and learned that there was a sharp turn left in the beginning that would quite literally bring runners to a halt and with 90 more kids going to be at the state meet it was drilled in our head to get out fast. If you did not get out fast you could screw the teammate behind, you in the small start boxes at state where you can only put 2-3 runners in front. So, I got out incredibly fast, me and teammate Caleb Sarsland were leading the race. About a hundred meters or so in there is a sharp left turn then 25 meters right turn and then 20 meters another right turn. As we were approaching the first turn out of the corner of my eye, I saw just a storm of people to the left of us. I yelled at Caleb to cut in. I was leading the race for about another 100 meters when I started to slow down and wait for Ian, Patrick, and Noah. I have run with these guys a lot and I know they like to get out strong and hold it. I let them pass me and I followed them. The first mile was 5:08 and the second mile was 10:34. Now here again is when my team’s coaches played another amazing role. Our coach have us finish with some sort of an 800m finish on tempo runs or just general practice. We always practice our finish and thank god the coaches did that. As I was running, the coaches met me in different spots and looked at me and said, “Don’t wait to make your move at the finish make it when you’re ready”. That is what I did as I reached about ¾ of mile left I made my move, I put 20 meters of ground between me and Ian, Noah, and Patrick. I built to the finish line, I did make my move maybe a little bit too soon, because I started to die within the last 200 -300 meters. And then Noah Rolfe who was my best guess who would win state was shoulder to shoulder with me. That gave me just enough momentum for me to finish when you can see a guy right next to you it brings a competitive edge.


4.) This is your first individual state title. What does that mean to you, and how does it feel?


The goal should always be to see growth and improvement you know I went from 65,20,13,19,7,1 in state placing and I am more than happy with that. But, honestly for me I love the sport for the competitive thrill but to be part of a team(s) for 6 years and have some amazing teammates and being part of a family. I love the feeling of bringing some hardware home to the supportive community of Bowman and sharing the riches with my teammates old and new. I hope that winning spirit and family atmosphere stays around for a long time.


5.) For the first time since 2011 and only the third time since 2003, a team other than New Town won the state team title. In your time at Bowman County, your team has placed 5th, 3rd, 5th, 3rd, 2nd, and now 1st at state. What does it mean to you, in your senior season, to finally get that team win? 


It’s unbelievable, I had some really fast people running on the team when I first joined the sport and then I became one of those guys. New Town always had some fast dudes, it’s an incredible program they run, I fully anticipate them to bounce right back. When you get 2nd or runner-up at state you feel good about the win, but you just have doubt about how you could have been better. I really wanted to see my senior teammate, Camden Wokal to be part of a winning team. And we fell short, so to come back and win it my senior year. I think it just shows how hungry the team was for a win. The team even before I was around wanted blood, they led the polls right away. When I came back it just intensified and grew stronger.


6.) On the topic of New Town, what has it been like racing for years in a region dominated by a team other than your own?


Not even going to lie it has been tough, as an athlete I’ve lost to them in Track and Cross Country repeatedly. When we beat them in regionals Junior year in Cross Country it was a big reward, but we lost to them at state. It’s a amazing program and amazing coaches they deserved everything they got.


7.) Obviously this year is different. We all know that every walk of life has been changed by the pandemic. Your track season was cut in the spring, and you didn’t know how cross country would play out. How did you cope with not having track last season?


It’s just the way of life I was sad at the time but looking at it now nothing I could do about it anyways. Just go with the flow.


8.) What has it been like to train through the pandemic and keep your sights on goals that you have?


Training through the pandemic was easy except maybe for the open windows on the bus that got pretty chilly. The hard part was when some kind of covid-19 news happen. Like someone got sick or this person was a close contact. I mean that’s two weeks of their life’s just poof and as you got closer to state that was hard to take. Most of us runners went to distance learning the week or 2 before state so we wouldn’t end up on anybody’s close contact list. When we found out that they were taking the tradition number of 10 runners and cut it to 7 runners that was a hardest pill to swallow. I want everyone on the team to compete no matter how good or bad. The goal never faltered we have studs and were deep. If anything it made me want to run faster for the ones who worked so hard for their season just to not even go.


9.) What does the rest of cross country season look like for you? Are there any races to go to? How about for track- what are your goals there?


Just going to prepare for college and get good grades. Probably not any more races but practices to stay in shape. My goals for track I will have to develop when the sport if the sport starts. Take some time off and sharpen my running tools.


10.) Do you have plans to run in college? Have you committed anywhere?


I would love to run in college and I haven’t committed anywhere just looking at some places for the time being.


11.) To what or to whom can you attribute this success you’ve experienced?


I got better from losing and wanting to win. So my teammates and my rivals all push me.


12.) What does running mean to you?


My parents didn’t let me join football when I was young so I joined Cross Country and I loved it. I was not a good runner at the time but slowly developed into one. For me running embraced a competitive spirt and I loved competition. I play basketball and track and you don’t have a family aspect like you do through cross country and running. Cross country teammates are family even the ones who leave the sport.


13.) What’s your favorite place to run in North Dakota?


We have this road here in Bowman that we call Cemetery Road, we have countless miles on this road. It’s almost the perfect road to run on because it goes east and west with hills. That would be my favorite place besides a state course atmosphere.


14.) What words of advice can you give to those who are interested in running?


Words of advice, I think I would start about by saying running isn’t for everyone- it takes incredible amount of work. But also you don’t immediately become good you have to put the work in. Being a runner is a great reward every day you can see your goals improve. Increasing your distance, time, just general health is the biggest reward you can see for yourself and competing for your teammates it’s both spirit and guts.


15.) What adversity have you experienced with running, and what did you do to overcome it?


I could give a sob story about shin splints, hamstring pain, and about how I had to wear compression sleeves on my knees. But none of that matters, its truly a mental sport. You can run another mile and you can increase your time. You just have to believe in your training.


16.) Do you have any runners from North Dakota that you’ve drawn inspiration from or look up to? What about professional runners?


There’s a couple boys up at NDSU that I can think of. Most notedly Alex Bartholomay, who is also from bowman and was my teammate when I was in seventh grade. He pushed me in practice because I thought it was unbelievable that he could start a mile behind me and beat me by a mile. Alex always passed me in this one particular spot on commentary road, every day I would grow a step stronger because of him. The competition edge was awesome. Also Isaac Huber, he was the only one that could run with New Town and beat some of them. As professionals go it would definitely be Steve Prefontaine who went from some hometown hero to a record breaking long distance runner and a quote of his “Somebody might beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it” was pretty impactful for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment