Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Meeting an Old Friend

Greetings,

I've noticed that you came to visit again, old friend. When you came into the room I was shocked at first, as I always am, and it took a while for me to realize that you were staying for more than just the night. I know I've told you this before, but you have caused me plenty of mental, physical, and emotional hurt over the years, and you seem to come at an inopportune time every time.

At first I ignored why you would be here at the camp now. You haven't visited me much at the camp in the past few years, which is fine because I see you enough during the school year. Most people would be touched that a friend would travel across the state to visit them, but I was actually quite content and peaceful here before you came along. You followed me around camp for a while until I couldn't really ignore you anymore.

At first I finally gave in and let you run with me for a little bit in the morning, but you are still annoying, so I had to cut the run short. Fortunately I was able to bring you along with me to VBS in Bismarck for a few days and we could simply hang out and rest up, getting plenty of time to sleep along the way. I suppose the only negative thing is that when you are around I think a little more about body image and how much I eat, so I scaled back a little on the calories and ate a lot more fruit. 

It was kind of fun to have you meet up with my teammate Cataldo. Though we were only able to do a short jog, didn't you see how nice of a guy he is? I thought it was kind of cool how he mentioned that he had met a guy just like you not too far back. 

After I acclimated myself to your arrival, I started listening to you. You can be annoying and frustrating, but you are also my greatest teacher. The advice you have given me is humbling and motivating at the same time. You always take time to sit down with me and allow me to think about what I want my life to be about. You make sure that I don't surround myself with unnecessary idols. You allow me to rest. You let me take more time to appreciate the beauty of the outdoors. You show me how to be grateful for everything I have. You motivate me to do more reading. You come with me to spend more time with friends and family. You give me time to allow my joy to flow and my excitement to come back after a grinding summer. 

I usually spend a lot of time fearing the fact that I will see you again. I know deep in my heart that you will come back again with your difficult lessons and struggles. But I learn through them how to take care of you; I learn how to take care of other people; I learn where my priorities are. So while once you leave me I would love to have some alone time to focus in on what I'm doing and get where I need to be, I also thank you for teaching me patience.

And so this is my thanks to, injury bug- my old friend. I know we have a love-hate relationship with all of the ups and downs. I'm sorry if I ever lose my temper at you, but I know that the lessons I learn from you are valuable and will help me down the road. For now I will allow you to keep teaching me, and when I have learned I hope you break the chains off for a while. 

Blessings until we meet again,

Nate

No comments:

Post a Comment